Groß Schönebeck Hunting Lodge
The history of the buildings:
Around 1540, the Hunting Lodge, designed by master builder Casper Theiss, was erected in Renaissance style as a typical Northern German brick building lacking a decorative façade.
It was built over a castle-like estate of which no traces have been preserved.
After the destruction of the building during the Thirty Years’ War,
the roof was rebuilt in 1662 and can still today be seen in its original state.
From 1834 onwards, King Frederick William III gave the building its present appearance:
the almost square floor plan, the small towers and the door and window placement.
Since then, the registry has been decorated with an opulent stucco ceiling.
From then on, the Hunting Lodge accommodated aristocrats, their hunting guests and entourage.
Later it was used as a residential and administrative building for head foresters and from 1973 to 1989 it became a cultural centre for forestry workers.
Today the exhibition "Hunting and Power" is shown here. The registry is also used for concerts and readings.
The half-timbered building has always been at this place but was burnt down by arson in 1772.
Within two hours, the fire also destroyed 180 more buildings in the village.
The stables for cattle and other livestock were also in the barn.
It was part of the head forester’s agricultural farmstead, which was separated from the Hunting Lodge.
Due to high ground water levels and mold successive buildings had to be renewed several times.
Today's building with a solid foundation and beaver-tail tiles was erected around 1890.
The reconstruction of the heavily damaged building was completed in 2007.
Since 2009, the exhibition "Hunting and Power" focusing on the period from 1918 to 1990 has been on display here.
Until 1885, a half-timbered building which housed stables and belonged directly to the Hunting Lodge
stood on the site of today's tourist information.
Among other things the hunting gear needed for the prestigious hunts in the Schorfheide were kept here.
Until 1810, this included a complete hunting kit for wolves.
Later, a massive brick building was erected, which was destroyed by arson in 1989.
In 2011, today's multi-purpose building was built on the old foundations.
Since 2016, a part of the building has been refurbished to make room for a multi-media presentation
of the history of the Schorfheide on three screens.
On the premises there is also today’s Forest School, formerly known as “Hunters’ Lodge”.
The original half-timbered building was constructed around the same time as the Hunting Lodge
and was used as a kitchen and accommodation for hunters during the aristocratic hunting season.
In 1835, the timber framework was replaced by brickwork, then reconstructed in 2009
and used as a Forest School.
In the building there is an old vaulted cellar which was used to keep killed game.
The outdoor area of the Forest School has been transformed into a deer compound which is especially interesting for children.
The renovation of the Hunting Lodge premises and the exhibitions have been made possible by financial support from the State of Brandenburg,
Barnim County and the local Savings Bank.
The Hunting Lodge premises are maintained and developed by the municipality of Schorfheide and Schorfheide-Museum e.V.
Jagdschloss Groß Schönebeck
D 16244 Schorfheide OT Groß Schönebeck
Telephone/Fax: +49 33393 65272
May to September: Mo-Sun 10h-12:30 and 13-17, last admission to exhibitions 16
October to April: Mo-Sun 10h-12:30 and 13h-16, last admission to exhibitions 15
Closed from second to fourth week of January as well as on 24 and 25 December, 31 December and 01 January.
Telephone: +49 33393 65272
Fax: +49 33393 65272